Wednesday 7 November 2012

A4 sheets in my A5

I asked for suggestions on the last free for all on Philofaxy on what to do with A4 sheets of paper that I don't want to punch holes in but still need to carry in my A5. The replies gave me the idea to use a A4 plastic folder, cut it a little wider than the folded sheet and then punch holes in that... Very simple, and in hindsight I can't see why I didn't think of it in the first place - but I suppose that's part of the beauty of a community! Actually taking the time to post a question gets all sorts of brain processes going :) Thank you for inspiring me, Amanda and Clara! This is what I did: 


The problem. The very important piece of paper and nowhere to put it (except with a paper clip, but that isn't fail safe, I've noticed). And I couldn't get my hands on any pockets where they'd actually fit entirely.


The solution. A plain plastic A4 folder... It opens on two sides and I wanted to keep two of the closed ends in my new folder. So I put the folded sheet in the right place in the folder and cut the folder in two a cm or so outside the sheet. 


...and this is what it looked like after the cut. Next step - punching holes! 


Punching plastic is not a nice experience (see my post on the Birthday project for my son). So I've stopped trying to doing more than dent the plastic slightly with the puncher, and then trim the rest with a scalpel.


The finished pocket! On its own and in Roxy. It is a little wider than the pages of course, but I think I can live with that. The plastic might be to frail to last long, it looks like it tears easily. If there are more signs of that I think I'll just add some book plastic or hole reinforcers. I am very happy with the result! 

No comments:

Post a Comment